Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Praise The Lord

Caution: This is a long post. You don't have to read it if you don't want to.

Well, God has taken care of me after all. I had a job dilemma you see . . .

I have been at Police Department for over a year. Not a terribly long time, but I've been there longer than any dispatcher that is currently there. When my previous supervisor left, the dispatch supervisor position came open. Chief had anyone who wanted it to apply. The Chief told us in the interview that there would be no raise in pay for the supervisor. Not fair, I thought, but I applied. I applied since I had seniority, management experience, and more dispatch classes under my belt than any of the others. I felt I was the best qualified. However, the Chief gave the position to a girl I trained. My feelings were hurt, but I supported my new supervisor in every way I could. Next, the mayor decided that we should all go on 8 hour shifts instead of 12 hour ones. Because they had discovered that they were supposed to be paying us overtime for those 4 hours in two weeks that we worked over 80. Okay. Chief and my supervisor told me that I would be working 6am to 2pm, Monday through Friday. Yay! I was excited. I'd get to be home when my kids got home, and Malachi wouldn't have to stay at daycare so long. Well, next thing you know, my supervisor calls me and tells me she's working on the schedule. Do I want 2nd shift or 3rd? I was stunned. I asked her was 1st shift not an option like she told me? She said no--that Chief wanted her on 1st shift since she was supervisor, and had to talk to people during business hours. (if she worked 2-10pm, she was still there during business hours.) I told her that there was no way I could work anything but 1st shift, because my husband already works nights. Who would be home with my kids? She said ok and hung up. The next time I talked to her, she said there was no way we would be able to do 8 hour shifts (read: I can't have my way, I'm taking my ball and going home). I talked to Chief later, and he assured me that we were going to 8's. Next, I got home from taking Madeline to Southern Starlets, and my supervisor called me at home and harassed me for close to an hour, trying to push me into 2nd or 3rd shift. She told me, "There are things called babysitters!" I told her that I didn't know any babysitters that could stay overnight 5 days a week, I refuse to leave my babies with strangers, and by the time I paid a babysitter to do that, I might as well be a stay at home momma for all the money I would make out of the deal! She told me that I was making everyone else pay for my having kids! Can you imagine? I had kids when they hired me! She told me that I just needed to get out in the REAL WORLD to see if anyone else would work around my schedule. I told her that in the real world, seniority was more than just a word whispered. She told me that she deserved this shift, because she got no raise with the supervisor position, and she should be making more than me (like that's my fault!). We went around and around, but I finally just kept repeating--I am not able to work anything but 1st shift. I'm sorry. I don't mean to be a bunch of trouble, but I Can. Not. Do. It. Period. She finally went away, and I didn't sleep. I kept trying to give it to God, but then would worry over it some more. This was not a good time for me to lose my job. We aren't yet caught up on bills that we incurred while John was out of a job. In any case, she called me up the other day offering 1st shift Wednesday through Sunday. I was really kind of ill at this, because this meant that I would never get to go to church with my family. At all. I countered with "How about Tuesday through Saturday?" This seemed fair to me as it gave us both a weekend day off. She haughtily told me that no, she would NOT be working weekends. I asked her couldn't we trade off weekends? Absolutely not. I told her, that it was very important that I go to church with my family, I had seniority, and this did not seem right at all. She said fine, she would tell Chief--and hung up.

This morning, I got the first good news I'd had in awhile. Chief called me into his office. I asked him if I was in trouble. He said, "No--do you want to be?" I very emphatically replied, "NO! I have enough on my plate right now, thanks." He then proceeded to tell me that I would be working Thursday through Saturday 12 hour shifts with a 4 hour admin. day on Wednesdays. I told him that I could live with that. I didn't say it, but I still think I should get the 6-2 M-F that I was told I would work, but I guess this is much better than the other offers.

That's my saga. I'm so tired of drama. All I want to do is do my job and go home to play with my kids.

PLUS, you don't have to wear the policewoman costume anymore!!! You're right, it could be worse!
SOOOO Sorry that you have to deal with al that! It's just means to an end... you know your first job is Mom and the reat is just meand to an end! :) Keep a stiff upper lip! :)
My heart goes out to you, Susie. That is a lot of drama.
Hang in there! You sound tough enough to handle whatever comes your way!
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?